Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Holiday Greetings 2020 - Differently Different

 It's Christmas Eve Eve and after 58 consecutive yules spent with my immediate family this year I am, like many of you, sticking close to my logistical home for the holidays. 

Over the past decade I have been somewhat nomadic, moving away from my children to go to grad school and then to an unexpected extended adventure here in NE Wisconsin. It is a life filled with blessings and joy, and yet it is not the same as gathering with loved ones for the family rituals of Christmas. 

Much has been written and shared about the nature of family and the many ways that it can be constituted through the myriad connections in our lives. I am blessed that there are many cherished circles in my life that have at various times constituted my family and with whom I continue to share a connection that is deep and essential and nourishing. While I might only see those circles intermittently, they are, never the less, family. It's a blessing and it has made my life one filled largely with joy.

Tomorrow I will spend Christmas Eve with someone I love and I hope that you are able to do so as well. If you are with unexpected new connections, with old friends, with traditional family, or with whomever you are blessed to share your day, then seek the love of family there in that space and in that time. Even if you find yourself alone, as so many of us have for so many of the days of 2020, recognize the value of your own company and release yourself to the joy of individual rebirth. The rejuvenation of mid-winter is in your heart and your soul and ultimately has import first and foremost in your embrace of it directly. Gather up your solstice energy and hang on to it as we look for ways to make 2021 something of value.

For myself, my most recent family circle has included the amazing folks in the Mistletoe Musings ensemble. So, here is one of their songs that I particularly enjoy.

Merry Christmas!





No comments: